Sunday, February 10, 2008

Today's Inquirer reviews ...

... I look at the work of one of the unsung heroes of poetry: She lived, breathed, made poems.

... Floyd Skloot thinks well of a new Alfred Kazin biography: Kazin bio a pleasant surprise. (This is Floyd's Inquirer debut and it - not surprisingly - excellent.)

... Desmond Ryan enjoys a couple of unusual histories of England: Another job description for Austen and Dickens: Amateur historians. (Des, by the way, is an Oxford grad. He had tutor by the name of Tolkien.)

... Sarah Weinman rather likes John Burnham Schwartz's latest: Novel inspired by trials of Japan's royal females.

...

4 comments:

  1. This isn't really on the topic, but the review of the Jane Austen history of England reminded me of something funny I saw yesterday: Alexander Waugh, in the acknowledgments for his book about his family, Fathers and Sons, thanked the University of Austen, Texas.

    I assume the University of Austen would have a small but satisfying curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank,

    The Elizabeth McFarland samples you included in your review, gave me the experience of wading out into a never-visited lake, suddenly submerged to tread deeps spots, and then never sure where the other drops will be.

    I am hoping Daniel Hoffman makes it up this way. I would love to get a copy autographed.

    Another Browning marriage. There is something about superb poets being married to superb poets--the love hobnobs with the muses and makes for reverie.

    Yours,
    Rus

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I assume the University of Austen would have a small but satisfying curriculum."

    !!! Levi, That comment made my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great observation, Levi.

    ReplyDelete