Saturday, March 14, 2009

His Highness Dines on the Physics of Poetry

Melissa Loewinger, one of The Daily Princetonian's staff writers, attended a poetry-lovers' dinner / discussion which brought together creative-writing professor and poet Paul Muldoon and close to a dozen student invitees.

"You may call me Paul. It's either that or 'Your Highness,'" intoned the Irish-born pontificator prior to sharing his bon mots concerning the relationship he perceives between science and poetry in an informal session called "The Physics of Poetry."

Mr. Muldoon tells Ms. Loewinger the title "was meant to be a slightly provocative [one], I suppose . . . But the basic idea is that poetry is in certain ways much more akin to construction — activities that involve construction, architecture, engineering — and that all of these activities are mindful of the laws of physics . . . The word 'poem,' in fact, means nothing more than 'a construct,'" iterates the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry, "a piece of structural engineering that is subject to the laws of physics."

(A construct, he says? Here I thought poetry had something to do with composition, arrangement, and lexical selection. Perhaps that's why I'm blacklisted by Misogynist Mel & Her Mincing Minions when it comes to grants and awards? Dayam.)

Ms. Loewinger elaborates further (predominantly in an after-the-fact email), "Muldoon also linked poetry to chemistry, comparing poetic elements, like the components of a simile or metaphor, to the materials in a scientific experiment . . . The literary units are like 'chemical elements,' he explained, that fuse to create 'a spark, a chemical reaction.' This spark is the fuel for poetry — 'a little explosion. Or a big one.'"

Sound familiar? "I shall, therefore, invite you to consider, as a suggestive analogy, the action which takes place when a bit of finely filiated platinum is introduced into a chamber containing oxygen and sulphur dioxide." (Right. T. S. Eliot already cleared the scientific air when he espoused his "catalytic" theory of poetry in his essay, "Tradition and the Individual Talent" [The Sacred Wood], arguably Ol' Possum's best-known one wherein he further states that the poet's mind is, in fact "a receptacle for seizing and storing up numberless feelings, phrases, images, which remain there until all the particles which can unite to form a new compound are present together.")

Now, that's rather more provocative, IMO, given the fact Mr. Eliot inked his observations almost a century ago (particularly since the poet's poet concludes: "Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things"). Hrm. Wonder if Canada's own Flavour-of-the-Minute-Man Christian Bök's even heard of Mr. Eliot? Welp, now he has. Maybe he should read something besides his owns scrawtchings on the chip-off-the-ol'-blockhead board? Splat chance.

Shantih, shantih, shantih . . .

<*The Sound of One Shoe Dropping*>

9 comments:

  1. I think by "a construct" he was maybe meaning the etymology of the word...

    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm now off to see how much I disagree with him... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, got lost in the other OED, the one I so love to read, second only to Dr. Johnson's Dictionary.

    How in the fuck did "fuck" get there? Love that story about Mailer, though. "Oh, you're the guy who can't spell fuck." I hope it was Dorothy Parker. I wonder what Kakutani thought when she came across that one? LOL.

    Q: What do you do for a living?
    A: I write fucks.
    Q: Fucks?
    A: Yeah, fucks; rhymes with ducks, kinda what I'm doing right about now.

    No, though, deemikay, I did the ol' Control-F for both "construct" and "construction" on both pages and came up with zilcho. Maybe it's a tribal thang, in the global-village sense?

    For me, "construction" conjures up, well, buildings and lumberyards and circular saws and flanges. I don't need those to make a poem and I don't think of myself as constructing one, either. I did think about what I would call whatever the fuck it is I do when I do what I do and it's sweat blood or extract an exact pound of fresh (never frozen) chosen few.

    One constructs an argument, you're right; but, is a poem an argument; and, if it is, is it a poem? Does it not then become propaganda or some stripe or other? Preaching, almost (in contradistinction from prayer, which is another fettle of fish, St. Peterishly speaking)?

    "That's the difference between poetry and prayer; the former melts your bones, the latter reconstructs them." (*I* said that.)

    Oh, I see you're now off to see how you also disagree with him. Well, then.

    Which confirms it :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being a reader of the NYT (hey, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I'm allowed) I didn't know who Kakutani was. God bless Wikipedia.

    As a student, I spent hours in the library reading all the dirty bits in the big OED when I should have been studying. Still passed though.

    I don't have a problem with a poem being a "construction" though... a made thing.

    What were old Scots poets called? Makars - which means "makers". (Actually, we still have a makar.)

    In Spanish? "Hacedor" - which means "maker" (or "doer").

    What was the verb used by Norse skalds to describe how they wrote poems? They "made" them. (It's in all the sagas... and unless all the translations are dodgy, that's how they, well, made them.)

    And the daddy of them all: "poet", from the ancient greek verb ποιέω meaning "making, producing, creating". And, by extension, "construction".

    So, historically... nothing wrong with a saying a poem is a "made thing" or "construction". It was just the word used.

    But I still disagree with ol' Paddy M. It's that old, silly Enlightenment atomistic thing. "If something can be broken-down to smaller parts it can be understood, and all broken-down-into-smaller-parts-things are identical and can be studied using scienctific methods." Which is fine applied to atoms, but obviously crap when applied to words.

    So Paddy, keep your science to yourself, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that last sentence should have ironic italics on "science".

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how much chemistry Muldoon has done. The interesting comparison would be to how disparate elements become compounds that are altogether different from their constituent parts - how, when two oxygen molecules bind with one of hydrogen the result is water, which is altogether different from either hydrogen or oxygen alone. This is not a mere mixture of elements, but a true marriage of them, something new comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IIRC, Lévi-Strauss tried to do the same thing with poetry in terms of its correlative relationship to the constituent parts of a film. From the smallest unit, the shot, to the largest, the thing entire. I might be wrong; but, I think it was L-S; and, I think it went something like this:

    Shot = Line
    Scene = Stanza
    Film = Poem

    May be grossly generalising and completely off the mark on this (and, it could have been Eisenstein, come to think of it); but, the point? Why must one compare poetry to or with any other art, science, or activity? Can we not just accept it on its own terms (which provide enough food for thought, even for a group of students at a dinner party, I would think)?

    Of course, I can only speak for myself; but, I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with the idea of a poem being a construct. It could also be a confect, if you follow that line of reasoning to arrive at confection. Oh, I have some chocolate, yes! BRB . . .

    Guess it's just all those years in grad school where a construct (and, by extension, a construction) involved an argument and the art of persuasion.

    Rhetorical issues, so to speak; but, that's the thing. Modernism mixed up the five elements of classical rhetoric; and, in so doing, removed poetry from exactly the kinds of notions PM considers germane to his dinner-party discussion on physics and poetry.

    That said, I agree with you entirely in terms of that atomistic approach's limitations.

    Did read about your Makar and kind of like the term better than Poet Laureate. Think I'm gonna lobby my MP — he's the Minister of Industry so would understand — to appoint me Makar of The Almaguin Highlands with a yearly stipend that allows me to purchase building materials so I can construct things. Mmm . . . My friend brought me pickles and chocolate . . . mmmffmff . . .

    Er, no, I am not preggers; and, no, I didn't ask why. I just said, Thank you . . . yum. (PM, eat your heart out!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Frank, I didn't see your comment and cannot believe we were both thinking of constituent parts at the same time. Very interesting question, though; and, I'd like to hear what deemikay has to say about it. I'm an Anguish Majorette, IOW. (Can you tell I am writing to deadline? Yep. A poetry review, my faaaave. You're prolly doing likewise, too or, at least, I think you have a column due.)
    p.s. deemikay? I loved the huge OED at U of T's main library; I still covet it; but, I only ever looked up one four-letter word in it. I'll leave that to your imagination

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank: the only thing I'd counter with is that words are not simple things like hydrogen and oxygen - taking the same two words and joining them several million times doesn't give anything as wonderful as water... but you could maybe use it as wallpaper? :)

    I'm not aware of Muldoon having any background in any science (English graduate as far as I'm aware), but he's perhaps just another example of a poet thinking that by mentioning science they are being scientific. I had a rant about it a year or so ago.
    I have similar problems the other way round - Richard Dawkins and his stupid Meme Theory.

    Also, my initial comments with Judith made me write a bit on poetic definitions... I almost went into set theory with it, but I restrained myself. :)


    Judith: I once had a similar thought about poems and photographs - they're the same thing! I said. Then I realised that you can't take a poem in in an instant, so I changed to say that poems were like films which unfold over time. But you're right... what's the point? Once I made the link between the two I stopped caring.

    I'm quite comfortable with the idea of a poet constructing a poem... they put words together and make them good. But it's just an analogy and nothing else. I'm lucky/unlucky enough (delete as appropriate)
    not to have had to
    study those grandiose literary theories that are beyond a wee mind such as mine. :)

    I shall now annoint you Makar of The Almaguin Highlands - the only building materials you need are words. The OED can supply you with more than you'd possibly need. :) I looked up several four letter words... including the "really bad" ones.

    ReplyDelete