Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Renting to learn ...

... Alain de Botton commissions holiday homes to promote modernist architecture. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

"You are more than just sleeping there – you are looking around and learning about modern architecture."
But why would one want spend one's vacation doing that?

... a tar-black house with a concrete and timber interior on the shingle beach of Dungeness in Kent, which will be near the home of the late film-maker Derek Jarman.
What does the location of Derek Jarman's house got to do with this?

... the award-winning Swiss minimalist Peter Zumthor, whose buildings are said to echo, in architectural terms, the writings of Martin Heidegger, the German philosopher.

Hard to imagine how a building could echo Sein und Zeit, though the thought brings to mind a somewhat notorious headline I once wrote: Dasein for living. (I also think it safe to presume that Emmanuel Faye won't be vacationing at this place.)

5 comments:

  1. The appeal to Hiedegger baffles me, but otherwise I have no problem with this, and even like it.

    There's a terrific magazine called "Dwell," an architectural magazine devoted to modernism but for ordinary folks. It's in many ways the perfect antidote to the high-end fantasy-world of "Architectural Digest," which is so unreal at times that it seems to come from another planet: a magazine for millionaires. "Dwell" has had many articles about families happily living or vacationing in reasonably-made, reasonably-priced modernist dwellings.

    If I were given a chance to live in such a place, I would probably take it. But then, I like minimalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, me too. Art. I'd love to live in one of these places. I've never had a problem with modern architecture. But there's something arch about this, too, don't you think? And the Derek Jarman reference really is a non sequitur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you really like to live in a modernist house? We did try it, but it turned out we felt like humans in a place intended as a home for machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not a home - a hangar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear zmkc:
    When I said I would love to live "in one of these places," I meant the places mentioned in the article - and just for the short vacation period. Also, now that I think about it, when I said I had no problem with modern architecture, I was thinking - rather superficially, I'm afraid - of how it looks. Of course, the real criterion, as you point out, is livability.

    ReplyDelete